Man with glassesWhile it used to be the case that contact lenses for astigmatism could only be rigid contact lenses (RGPs, also called GP lenses), this is no longer true. Now, soft lenses called toric contact lenses can correct astigmatism. But while soft toric lenses may be appropriate for some, if you have severe astigmatism, rigid contacts or glasses may be a better option. Your eye doctor will discuss your lens options with you.

For some people with astigmatism, surgery may be an option to correct vision, including LASIK. Your Eye M.D. can discuss the various types of refractive surgery procedures you may consider for astigmatism correction.

Written by
Reviewed by Dr. Denise Satterfield on Sept. 1, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.