Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I'm pretty certain I have either pterygium or pinguecula. Do I need to see an ophthalmologist or is an optometrist capable of making the diagnosis and providing treatment?

Either an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) or an optometrist should be capable of differentiating whether you have a pterygium or a pinguecula, but only an ophthalmologist would be fully skilled in the surgical treatment of your condition, should it be needed.

Answered by: Wayne Bizer, DODr. Wayne Bizer

Categories: Eye Diseases

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jan 16, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.