Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I believe I have a corneal ulcer. What medication is available over-the-counter (OTC) to help treat this? I do not have medical insurance to cover the cost of medication and doctor's appointment. I'm currently using redness revolt from Walgreens to help. It is helping a bit but can you tell me if there is a better OTC option?

You need to see an ophthalmologist immediately. A corneal ulcer is a severe infection of the cornea that can lead to permanent scarring and vision loss. A redness reliever does not contain an antibiotic and is ineffective in treating infections. If you do in fact have a corneal ulcer, your ophthalmologist will prescribe a strong antibiotic that is only available by prescription. There are no alternatives.

Answered by: Omar R. Chaudhary, MD Dr. Omar R. Chaudhary

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 20, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.