Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I went to the eye doctor yesterday and she said I have posterior vitreous detachment (or PVD, when the gel inside the eye separates from the back of the eye). Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

When one develops a posterior vitreous detachment, you may see a floater that looks like a horseshoe or spider web that moves in your field of vision in the affected eye. Over time, this will become less bothersome as the brain adapts to it; however, it may be more apparent when you are looking at a bright background, such as at the beach on a sunny day or reading a book or magazine with bright white paper. Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to remedy the situation.

Answered by: Paul Sternberg Jr., MD Dr. Paul Sternberg

Categories: Eye Conditions, General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jul 14, 2014

Pop needs to be configured.