Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I received a traumatic brain injury resulting in my pupils shifting off center. Is there a medical term for this?

The medical term for a de-centered pupil is "corectopia" and it can be caused by a number of things. Usually it happens from trauma directly to an eye or it can be congenital (from birth). It is not uncommon for corectopia to occur as a result of severe head injury that causes compression of the brain. This is likely to be permanent, but in most cases should not affect the pupil's function. I strongly suggest that you discuss your question with your ophthalmologist.

Answered by: Wayne Bizer, DODr. Wayne Bizer

Categories: Eye Injuries

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jul 28, 2014

Pop needs to be configured.