Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My husband has been experiencing a black spot in the lower peripheral of his right eye. It remains in place (does not float). It occurs usually every night when he is sitting and relaxed. Should we be concerned?       

Even without floating, this is probably what is called a floater—a broken off bit of the vitreous gel which normally fills up the back of the eye. As we age, have trauma, or in those more myopic, the vitreous gel begins to liquefy and small pieces of the gel can just sit out in the periphery of his vision and not “float” around. To be sure that this is not a hole or tear in the retina, he should go have a thorough, dilated ophthalmic examination.

Answered by: Jeffrey Whitman, MDDr. Jeffrey Whitman

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jan 01, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.