Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

Can my primary care doctor refer me to a retina eye doctor or should I see a comprehensive ophthalmologist?

Your primary doctor may have a relationship with a retinal specialist, especially if he or she deals frequently with diabetic patients. There is no reason why the primary doctor cannot refer you to a retinal doctor directly. However, if the issue is simply evaluation of your eyes because of the possibility of retinal issues, a comprehensive ophthalmologist might be a better choice as this could save you a trip to another subspecialist and also focus on things like optimum eyeglasses and other eye disease possibilities.

Answered by: Richard Bensinger, MD Dr. Richard Bensinger

Categories: General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 20, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.