Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

Should I be seen by a doctor if one pupil suddenly has become dilated? I have not taken any drugs or had any head trauma.

Yes, you should urgently seek medical care if you notice a sudden increase in size of one pupil. An abnormally dilated eye may indicate a serious neurologic problem which needs to be investigated immediately, even if there are no other apparent symptoms. Your ophthalmologist will be able to determine if this is due to a benign condition or something more serious. If you do not have an eye doctor who is accessible, go to the emergency room immediately for evaluation.

Answered by: Omar R. Chaudhary, MD Dr. Omar R. Chaudhary

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 20, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.