Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

How do you treat an over-corrected limbal relaxing incision?

Many nomograms for limbal relaxing incisions (LRIs) are present but it is unfortunately not an exact science. Toric intraocular lenses have replaced many of the patients that needed LRIs in the past since they are more accurate and predictable. Once an LRI is completed, it will regress over time. If the overcorrection is severe, meaning the astigmatism shifted 90 degrees in the opposite direction, contact lenses or glasses can often correct the residual astigmatism. Laser vision correction surgery is another option but stability in the refraction must be present before any laser correction procedure (PRK or advanced surface ablation) is attempted.

Answered by: W. Barry Lee, MDDr. W. Barry Lee

Categories: Eye Surgery

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Feb 13, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.