Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My daughter has had a stye that reoccurs in the same lower lid. The stye seems gone, but a sore or ulcer looks to remain. It has changed colors recently. Should she see an optometrist, an ophthalmologist or her regular doctor?

You didn't mention the age of your daughter and that makes a difference. A multiply recurrent stye that leaves a sore or ulcerated eyelid is certainly possible. The eyelid may be treated with a topical antibiotic ointment or perhaps a combination anti-inflammatory/antibiotic ointment. However, I would be very quick to biopsy this ulcer if it doesn't disappear quickly with treatment. She should see an ophthalmologist for this.

Answered by: Gary Hirshfield, MDDr. Gary Hirshfield

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jan 24, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.