Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I am curious as to why I have recurring corneal ulcers in both my eyes. This has been going on for about nine years and I do not wear contacts. It’s very painful and I want to know if there is something serious going on.

There are many types of corneal ulcerations. The classic is a surface spot which is like a culture of organisms on a petri dish, commonly associated with contact lens wear. Since you don't wear them, it is likely you are describing peripheral ulcerations which have several patterns. Some of these are isolated and not related to systemic disease such as Mooren's ulceration, and others are related to systemic disease such as rheumatoid disease. These types tend to be persistent and recurrent. There are means to deal with them, usually by a corneal surgeon (Eye M.D.) who you should consult with. These sometimes can be treated with topical and occasionally systemic medications. More severe cases may require some types of corneal surface surgery and even conjunctival re-positioning to cover the ulcerated area, limit the pain and promote healing. You should see a corneal surgeon sooner rather than later.

Answered by: Richard Bensinger, MD Dr. Richard Bensinger

Categories: Eye Diseases

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Mar 19, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.