Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I have lower eyelashes on one eye, growing inward toward my nose and up rubbing on my sclera, causing irritation particularly when reading or doing close work. Any suggestions? Thank you.

This is a condition called trichiasis. It can cause problems starting with persistent foreign body sensation, chronic irritation and ultimately, damage to the ocular surface. The first step is to have the lashes pulled out. If they recur too frequently then slightly more invasive procedures can be used, such as electrocautery or cryo (freezing) therapy of the eyelash bulb can be tried to prevent recurrence. Finally, surgery to both remove the entire eyelash from inside the lid with the bulb as well as surgical eyelid repositioning procedures. Rarely, using an ointment on the eyelid margin and mechanically directing the lashes away from the eye can help.

Answered by: Gary Hirshfield, MD Dr. Gary Hirshfield

Categories: Eye Conditions, General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Nov 23, 2010

Pop needs to be configured.