Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

What is the name of the condition when your eyelid starts to grow over your eye?

There is a growth called a pterygium. This growth arises from the conjunctivae, the transparent tissue overlying the sclera or white part of the eye. Pterygia may grow onto the cornea encroaching upon the pupillary aperture. If pterygia cause scarring, discomfort or vision loss, it is recommended they be surgically removed.

Answered by: Rona Silkiss, MD Dr. Rona Silkiss

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 08, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.