Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

When my daughter was about 8 years old she suffered an injury to her left eye which caused her iris not to dilate and retract normally. In fact, the iris is in a permanently dilated state causing her to squint from that eye when outdoors in the sun and causing light sensitivity and eye strain at other times. Is there any kind of contact lens which would act similar to the way transitional glasses work, i.e., darkening in the sun and going back to normal when in lower light? Note this is not for cosmetic purposes.  

No, there is no contact lens that acts like a transitions sun glass that changes colors or light filtration, but there are special contact lenses that can be worn with a darkly colored periphery and normal center that would simulate the normal pupil size. There are also implant lenses that can be placed inside the eye that can act like a pupil (again they are static and do not change pupil size) and thus reduce the ocular discomfort your daughter suffers. Nothing will be perfect, but there are many things that can be done to help her. I advise you to discuss these options with your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) and, if this is outside the scope of his/her practice, that you be referred to a teaching hospital where such rare procedures are more commonly performed.

Answered by: Wayne Bizer, DODr. Wayne Bizer

Categories: Eye Injuries, General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Oct 18, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.