Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My eyes hurt at night when I close them to sleep and then try to open them. This has been going on for a few weeks. Should I see a doctor?

This may be dry eyes and you can try over the counter dry eye drops to see if it relieves the symptom. I prefer drops that do not contain preservatives (preservative free) for this purpose. If your symptoms persist or worsen then a full exam is required by an Eye M.D.

Answered by: Gary Hirshfield, MDDr. Gary Hirshfield

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jun 20, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.