Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

Can an optometrist check your eyes for signs of macular degeneration?   

A complete eye examination, whether performed by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist, should include an evaluation of the retina where signs of macular degeneration could be noted. However, only an Eye M.D. may be qualified to offer the full spectrum of evaluation and care for macular degeneration including recommendations for follow-up examinations, vitamin supplementation, laser or medical therapy including injections into the eye, and visual rehabilitation services.

Answered by: Louis B. Cantor, MDDr. Louis B. Cantor

Categories: Eye Diseases; General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jul 30, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.