Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I am experiencing night blindness and at times extremely dim vision in the dark. I have recently been told that my vitamin A is in the 20s. I live in Maryland. What kind of ophthalmologist should I see?

It is probably very unlikely that you have night blindness from vitamin A deficiency. It takes a very low level to produce this, much lower than the 20s. There are some causes of night blindness—some inherited and some acquired—which should receive the attention of an ophthalmologist. A general ophthalmologist is a good entry point, and if confirmed that there is pathology, they might send you to a retinal specialist or a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Answered by: Richard Bensinger, MD Dr. Richard Bensinger

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Oct 15, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.