Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My grandson is one day old and the pediatrician found a cyst on one of his eyes. They said something about lancing it or possible surgery. What is this and is it dangerous?     

Please take the child to an Eye M.D. at once—either a comprehensive ophthalmologist, a pediatric ophthalmologist, or an oculoplastics specialist. I cannot say what it is without seeing it or knowing more details, but the ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) will have more experience with this sort of thing than a pediatrician, in most cases.

Answered by: Richard G. Shugarman, MDDr. Richard Shugarman

Categories: Children's Eye Health, Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Sep 05, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.