Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I have an ingrown eyelash—do I need to go to an Eye M.D. or an optometrist?

I assume that you are referring to trichiasis when you use the term "ingrown eyelash". Trichiasis is a condition in which the eyelashes grow inward toward the eye, rather than away from the eye. Symptoms can include eye pain/discomfort, light sensitivity, redness, blurred vision, and discharge from the eye. You should visit your Eye M.D. (ophthalmologist) for treatment recommendations, which usually include measures to remove the offending lash(s) and prevent their recurrence.

Answered by: David K. Coats, MD Dr. David K. Coats

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Mar 13, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.