Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I'm 50 and have high myopia (-11) in both eyes and have been using contact lenses for over 25 years. Are there any treatments I should be seeking out for my high myopia?

I assume when you are asking about treatments, you are referring specifically to surgical treatments to correct your myopia. If so, in conjunction with a skilled ophthalmologist, you could consider a variety of interventions. Depending upon your corneal thickness, a corneal refractive procedure may be a possibility. Another choice would be an intraocular lens or ICL. Finally, if you do have a cataract, cataract surgery with implantation of an artificial lens that is more suited to the length of your eye, would be possible.

Answered by: James M. Heltzer, MDDr. James M. Heltzer

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Aug 06, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.