Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive
Please read our important medical disclaimer.
There is now a generic supplement on the market for Ocuvite 50. It is Vision Formula 50, Equate brand. It is less expensive than Ocuvite. Is it a reasonable facsimile of Ocuvite?
There are many vitamins on the market that are similar to one another, as these are. However, the main question is whether they are equivalent to the AREDS formula which was demonstrated in a large randomized clinical trial to slow the progression to advanced age-related macular degeneration. This is essentially the AREDS formula:
- 500 milligrams of vitamin C
- 400 IU of vitamin E
- 15 milligrams of beta-carotene
- 80 milligrams of zinc as zinc oxide
- 2 milligrams of copper as cupric oxide
Lutein can be substituted for beta carotene, especially for those who smoke.
Answered by: Abdhish Bhavsar, MD
Categories: Eye Diseases
Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!
Answered: Jun 26, 2013
Search for Questions & Answers
Meet Our Experts
- Your questions are answered by more than two dozen members of the American Academy of Ophthalmology who volunteer their time with EyeSmart.