Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My eyeball hurts and I was wondering if I should I see an ophthalmologist, an optometrist or a general practitioner? I have not sustained an injury to my eye.

Eyes tend to be uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. If the pain is momentary or just lasting a few days, then it might be ignored. But you should be evaluated if the vision is altered, or if there is redness, discharge, light sensitivity, or any other symptom you cannot explain. The best evaluation for persistent pain especially with dysfunction is your ophthalmologist.

Answered by: Richard Bensinger, MD Dr. Richard Bensinger

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Feb 13, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.