Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I have fatty deposits on the outer edge of my eyes. It is affecting my vision. Is there a possibility of surgery to cut out fatty deposits? My ophthalmologist is hesitant about surgery for fear of cutting tear ducts and deposits growing back.

Yes. It is possible to undergo a blepharoplasty. This is a surgery in which skin and a bit of fat may be removed to improve the appearance of the upper eyelid or—in more advanced cases—improve field of vision. I wonder if you are describing xanthelasma. These are yellow plaque-like collections on the skin of the inner corners of the eyelid. These deposits may be associated with elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Additionally the removal of these lesions does not prevent recurrence. An Eye M.D. would be able to counsel you regarding this condition.

Answered by: Rona Silkiss, MD Dr. Rona Silkiss

Categories: Eye Surgery

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jun 19, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.