Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My right eyelid swells sometimes in the upper left corner. When the swelling goes down it gets tight and makes my eye seem small due to the fact that my eyelid is tightened. This has been an on-and-off thing ever since I was in the 5th grade. Should I seek any surgery to get rid of that extra layer of skin?  

There is a condition called blepharochalasis in which individuals, usually young women, develop intermittent severe swelling of the eyelids. Over time this may lead to a stretching of the thin eyelid skin. Blepharoplasty or an eyelid lift may be needed to improve the cosmesis of the individual. There are also conditions that cause intermittent lacrimal gland swelling. I would suggest that you be evaluated by an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) to fully understand your condition.

Answered by: Rona Silkiss, MD Dr. Rona Silkiss

Categories: Eye Conditions, Eye Surgery

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 08, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.