Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

Many face creams/lotions say avoid eye area, so how do I moisturize my eyelids?

The thinnest skin of the human body is on the eyelids. Dermatologic preparations for the rest of the body need to penetrate more deeply than those designed for the eyelids.

It is also quite easy to get some of these agents spilling over onto the sensitive eye surface, causing superficial burns and irritation.

Only use these agents as directed; be careful not to let them get into the eye; should this accidentally occur, flush the eye with sterile saline (or tap water if nothing sterile is available) and call your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) immediately.

Answered by: Richard G. Shugarman, MDDr. Richard Shugarman

Categories: General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Mar 20, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.