Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

My baby scratched the inside of my eyelid about a year and a half ago with his fingernail. It still is extremely painful sometimes if I rub it just the wrong way. Is there anything an ophthalmologist could do for this?

I wonder if you are experiencing a recurrent erosion of your cornea (a condition that causes the cornea to wear away over time) rather than an irritation of your eyelid. You need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. If you have a recurrent erosion, the surface of the cornea may become a bit irregular if the eye becomes dry.

Answered by: Rona Silkiss, MD Dr. Rona Silkiss

Categories: Eye Injuries

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jul 28, 2014

Pop needs to be configured.