Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I am having trouble with double vision and have Graves' disease. What can I do?     
It is important if you have Graves' disease to establish a professional relationship with an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) or oculofacial plastic surgeon and an endocrinologist. These doctors will help guide you through the two- to three-year period of disease associated with Graves' disease.  

You will need to make sure your thyroid hormone production is normalized. If you have mild eye disease you may wish to take oral Selenium (220 ucg/day). If you have more severe symptoms, you may require Singulair or even steroids. Severe disease may necessitate the use of novel biologics such as Rituximab or even surgery.  

If your disease is stabilizing, you may wish to treat your double vision with Fresnel prisms or consider botulinum toxin injections to the extraocular muscles. If your disease has stabilized, strabismus surgery to realign the eyes may be recommended. Also, if you happen to be a smoker, quitting now would help immensely.  

Graves' ophthalmopathy is a complex systemic autoimmune disease. It is important to be seen by an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) to optimally care for your eyes.

Answered by: Rona Silkiss, MD Dr. Rona Silkiss

Categories: Eye Diseases

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Feb 13, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.