Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I suffer from dizzy spells that cause me to lose vision, lasting only a minute or two but a couple of times a week. What kind of doctor should I see?

Thank you for asking us this question. With so little information, it is difficult to supply an answer to fit all occasions, but I need to warn you that this could be a very serious condition and you should seek help immediately. Your health plan may determine whom you should contact, but at least you should contact your primary care physician immediately and tell him/her of these symptoms. This is likely a serious condition. Your primary care physician will probably have you seek consultation with a neurologist although an ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) should also be considered. An ophthalmologist would be able to tell you if this is strictly eye-related or, more than likely, blood vessel or brain related. I would suggest that you contact your primary care physician immediately and follow the suggestions given to you by him/her. If you don't have a primary care physician, an ophthalmologist will also be able to answer your questions. Please seek help quickly.

Answered by: Ivan Schwab, MD Dr. Ivan Schwab

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 21, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.