Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I was at work picking up a wooden pallet and debris fell into my left eye causing bloodshot, headache, and runny nose—how do I treat this?

The best approach to this scenario is to irrigate the eye with eye wash or artificial tears immediately. Then you should see an ophthalmologist for an examination. The ophthalmologist will be able to determine if you have a corneal abrasion or retained foreign body. If an eye care professional is not available, then an emergency room physician will be able to perform an initial exam and help with pain. Often an ER doctor will arrange for you to see an ophthalmologist if there is a problem.

Answered by: John W. Kitchens, MD Dr. John W. Kitchens

Categories: Eye Injuries, General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Jun 18, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.