Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I am a 57-year-old female and have just been informed that I have soft drusen and leakage. How is this treated? Can this be reversed?

Soft drusen can be the earliest sign of dry age-related macular degeneration (or AMD, a breakdown of the macula in the back of the eye) and leakage can be a sign of the more advanced "wet" form of AMD. We definitely recommend that you initiate taking a formulation of antioxidant vitamins and minerals (the AREDS formula), cease smoking if you do so, make sure that you wear protective sunglasses when outdoors, and eat a healthy diet. However, if your physician is concerned about leakage, then you need to be evaluated with retinal imaging studies to see whether you need to start receiving injection treatments with special medicines designed to stop the leakage.

Answered by: Paul Sternberg Jr., MD Dr. Paul Sternberg

Categories: Eye Diseases

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Mar 14, 2014

Pop needs to be configured.