Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

A bug flew directly into my eye and I'm not sure that all of it came out. My eye is irritated and red. What should I do to make sure the bug is gone and the irritation goes away? 

Any time there is persistent irritation, redness, or a change in vision you should seek out an Eye M.D. for a thorough eye exam. During a routine ocular exam the ophthalmologist will use a slit-lamp (a high-powered microscope) to see the ocular structures in great detail. Your Eye M.D. can find and then remove any remaining debris and/or determine other causes of any residual irritation. In addition, if the tissues have been traumatized, other intervention may be needed, such as antibiotics. If untreated, trauma to the eye with subsequent infection can lead to some permanent vision loss. We would encourage you to consult an ophthalmologist for a thorough eye exam.

Answered by: Andrew Iwach, MD Dr. Andrew Iwach 

Categories: Eye Injuries

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Oct 10, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.