Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

 I have a dark spot in my vision in low light situations after I sustained minimal blunt trauma to the eye region. I saw an optometrist the next day (not an Eye M.D. or ophthalmologist) and she said that there was some swelling and hemorrhaging, but nothing major, and that it will likely reabsorb over time. Does this sound like a good diagnosis, or should I follow up immediately with an ophthalmologist? I don't see any floaters, flashes, curtains coming down over my eye, or diminished peripheral vision. Just a dark spot in my vision at night, or morning.    

Yes, you should see a board-certified ophthalmologist very soon, because potential causes of "swelling and hemorrhaging" need to be evaluated.

Answered by: Charles P. Wilkinson, MD Dr. Charles P. Wilkinson

Categories: General Eye Health, Eye Injuries

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Dec 21, 2012

Pop needs to be configured.