Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

I can only see out of one eye at a time but can quickly switch so it is not noticeable even to me. What is that called?

You probably have what is known as alternating esotropia—a lazy eye condition which will let you fixate with either eye, but not at the same time. I would consult with a muscle specialist (usually a pediatric ophthalmologist) to see if surgery can help you fuse the image of both eyes.

Answered by: Jeffrey Whitman, MDDr. Jeffrey Whitman

Categories: Eye Conditions

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: May 21, 2013

Pop needs to be configured.